When you’re eating healthy, it’s not necessary to remove desserts from the table. All you have to do is pick a healthy dessert and consume a moderate amount of it.
Continue reading to see which desserts are the healthiest choices when it comes to your diet.
Yogurt is made by combining live bacteria with milk. As a result, consuming frozen yoghurt can provide you with the “good” bacteria as well as the milk.
Good Bacteria Benefits:
Yogurt is classified as a “probiotic” because the bacteria found in it are beneficial to our digestive and immune systems. These bacteria may aid with cholesterol and skin problems in addition to creating several vitamins and minerals. If you’re lucky, the frozen yoghurt you’re served has live cultures.
If you’re wondering what milk’s health benefits are, it all boils down to one thing: its protein level!
Milk contains roughly 8.5 gms of protein per cup. Casein makes up 80% of these milk proteins, and it has a long list of health benefits, including aiding in the absorption of minerals like calcium and phosphorus and decreasing blood sugar. The remaining 20% of milk is made up of whey protein, which has benefits such as helping our bodies grow muscle and, like casein, decreasing blood sugar.
Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is a lipid found in dairy products. CLA is thought to help reduce body fat mass, enhance metabolic health, and lower the risk of a variety of diseases, including diabetes and cancer, but it won’t help much if your frozen yoghurt is loaded with sugar.
2] Fruit Desserts
Fresh fruit at the end of a meal is a terrific method to ensure that your dessert has some nutritious value! Even if it’s topped with whipped cream, it’s still a healthy source of fiber and vitamins, with a lower fat and calorie content than baked foods.
A classic example of how this may be a very gratifying dessert is strawberries and whipped cream.
There are 73 calories in a cup of 5-6 strawberries with one tablespoon of whipped cream. Strawberries provide an excellent source of vitamins A and E, as well as some of the benefits of carotenoids, a type of nutritious plant pigment that helps our skin, eyes, and plays a function in a variety of physiological processes.
Sorbets, which are fruit-based, are also a terrific alternative. They get all of their energy from carbohydrates, not fats, unlike creamy desserts, which include both. Mango sorbet includes 90- 120 calories and some vitamin A and C in about half a cup. Flavonoids and other phytonutrients are abundant in mango.
Indian desserts are sugar rich, but they also have some positive aspects: their nuts, spices, and dried fruits provide us with healthy fats and other nutrients. Many Indian sweets are made with ghee, which provides us with a healthy fat called butarate.
Here are a few Indian sweets that can be enjoyed in tiny amounts:
1] Kaju Katli :
57 calories per serving. Cashews (kaju) are a low-calorie nut with a high protein and fiber content.
2] Pistachio Kulfi:
Half a bar contains 90 calories. Pistachios are also low in calories and high in vitamin A and milk protein, making this dessert a healthy supply of both.
10 tablespoons = 130 calories. Shrikhand is produced with strained yoghurt, which provides a lot of milk proteins and possibly some probiotic advantages.
4] Gajar ka halwa (carrot halwa):
A cup has about 140 calories. Carrots are high in beta-carotene, which the ghee in gajar halwa may help to improve absorption.
Few More Tips:
1] Share your dessert order to keep the calories in mind, as restaurant dessert portions can be quite enormous. You might also inquire whether they offer shot glasses with small desserts.
2] If you believe you won’t be able to resist a huge dessert, reduce the carbohydrate content of your main course – desserts should not be used to replace vegetables and protein!
3] Choose sweets decorated with nuts, just like Indian deserts. In addition to the healthful fats and protein, they provide a delicious crunch.
4] Cinnamon-spiked desserts can boost the nutritious worth of your meal. This delicious spice is great for treating diabetes and heart disease risk factors.
5] Coconut is used in a variety of desserts, and it contains healthful fats and other beneficial properties.
If you make healthy selections and stick to sensible portions, eating out does not have to entirely derail your diet — and this, luckily, includes desserts!
Consult an expert nutritionist on my team at +91-9743430000 who can help you understand and identify foods that works best with your body and help you achieve your health goals.
Ryan Fernando is an Award-winning celebrity Sports Nutritionist with 2GUINNESS world record and 2 Olympic medals under his belt. His client list include Olympic wrestler Sushil Kumar, cricketer Shikhar Dhawan & bollywood superstars Aamir Khan & Abhishek Bachchan. He is Chief Nutritionist at QUA Nutrition Signature Clinics.