It’s an early Christmas gift for me. My kid golfer client Aryan Roopa Anand won the All India Amateur Matchplay Golf Championship. He became the 1st Golfer in its 119 years history to win both the strokeplay and matchplay title.
It didn’t come as a surprise to me. I have been working with the kid for a while now and have closely followed his progress. We started working on his nutrition habits at an early age and the right nutritional foundation has helped him achieve his potential.
Hats off to both the coaches and the parents to have that vision and wisdom to understand the importance of nutrition in athletic performance and invest in a plan. They are the pillars behind every successful athlete.
Sports Nutrition at a young age lays the foundation for a successful sporting career. Young athletes train long hours for their sport. In order to optimize that training, proper nutrition is required. The right nutrition will ensure growth, health & performance.
Above all, athletes will learn to eat for performance. For instance, Golfer should not indulge in sugary foods as it can spike their blood sugar levels which can impact their focus and concentration. Most athletes will not know this. What they will learn in a nutrition plan will be the teachings for the rest of their life.
You can get in touch with my team on 9743430000 to know more about customized sports nutrition plan.
Secret nutrition tips for golfers
1. Get a nutritionist to work on your diet at home as well as during travel.
2. Include nuts like almonds, pista, cashew and pine nuts during your 18 holes. The correct quantities need to be determined and you need three months to make this a habit.
3. Berries like cranberries, blueberries and raisins work effectively in calming the brain for its small sugar recharges.
4. Avoid energy drinks with caffeine on the course. Opt for sports drinks that have 6% isotonic carb balance and a 5:1 sodium to potassium balance on electrolytes.
5. Banana has always been my favourite snack for golfers.
6. Pomegranate, beetroot and chia seeds are the secret arsenal in smoothies when a golfer is not playing. Improves focus and endurance.
7. Golfers need to play on a lighter stomach. Early morning tee-offs see many players too stressed to relieve their bowels. The previous day coconut water, carrot juice and prunes help get an instant bowel movement early morning on waking.
8. A non-nutrition tip: an exercise wearable will give your heart rate and this will enable planning of hydration and glucose as you play. Key elements to the mind and the muscle.
Ryan Fernando is an Award-winning celebrity Sports Nutritionist with 2GUINNESS world record and 2 Olympic medals under his belt. His client list include Olympic wrestler Sushil Kumar, cricketer Shikhar Dhawan & bollywood superstars Aamir Khan & Abhishek Bachchan. He is Chief Nutritionist at QUA Nutrition Signature Clinics.